Sunday, May 11, 2008

Revenge of the Fanboy!

You have to hand it to George Lucas. After virtually ruining the Star Wars mythology and tainting the greatness of the original trilogy with his pathetic prequels, he at least is willing to give other creative people at shot at reparing the damage he's done to the Star Wars legacy.

The first non-Lucas project was handled by emmy award winning animator Genndy Tartakovsky, creator of Samurai Jack. He created two 1/2 hour Star Wars cartoons called the Clone Wars that tell the story between Episodes II and III. I was amazed by how much I enjoyed them. They were more exciting and more inspired than their big screen counterparts. It seemed laughable that a cartoon done by a bunch of fanboy animators could be better executed, with better writing and acting than a movie created by professional producers, directors, and actors. And yet there it is.

Well now it looks like Lucas is about to be outdone again. A new CGI animated movie called Star Wars: The Clone Wars is scheduled to be released in theaters August 15 of this year. It will be the first chapter in an ongoing television series that will follow. This series also takes place between Episodes II and III. Here are the trailers:



sneak peek


trailer #2


I don't know about you, but this looks pretty dang cool. It looks like everything I hoped the prequels would be, but weren't. So thanks George Lucas, for realizing that you suck, and letting other people tell the story of Anakin Skywalker the way it should have been told in the first place.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I'm confused. Nothing new there. Is this going to be a series or a movie. When I watched the trailer for it on Cartoon Network last Thursday (yes, I did schedule my evening around a two minute trailer, so what?) it started off with that green screen stating that the preview is appropriate for all ages like a movie trailer. But I was under the impression that this was going to be a TV series. So what is it? Is it a theatrical release, a TV movie, or an extra long episode to kick of a TV series? And Jabba has a son? WTF? Does that mean that Princess Leia was kinda like his step-mom?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, so the comment above is mine, I forgot to put my name on the bottom. Some day I should put some effort into trying to remember my password for my blogger account.


ted

A said...

Since the new three movies suck and therefore define the bottom of the Star Wars Ladder of Coolness, then it stands to reason that this series will in fact rule. Whether I'll really like it or not remains to be seen, but logic shows us that it must be better than bad.

Anonymous said...

This looks totally cool! Since I don't have cable and Saturday after 8am there are only cartoons on, I find myself watching the most retarded cartoons ever made. That's right, I still sit there and watch them. So to see not only a cool cartoon but doing what, looks possibly, to be a better job than the new Star Wars will be refreshing. Look forward to seeing it. I hope it is in the theater- how the heck else will I watch it?!

Anonymous said...

oh yeah..ha. name..right!

Kathleen