Friday, August 28, 2009

Avatar

James Cameron's long awaited film Avatar (trailer here) will finally come to theaters in December. Apparently he had to wait fifteen years for the technology to reach a place where he could use the visual effects he wanted, including a breakthrough 3D experience. The VFX do look amazing, but it appears that Cameron, like many of his contemporaries, has decided to get on a soap box.

The movie looks like an allegorical sermon on the destruction of the environment. Evil military industrial complex seeks to exploit the natural resources of a pristine, unspoiled wilderness and only the noble, peace-loving natives living in harmony with nature stand between them. It's like "Aliens meet Dances with Wolves," or a science fiction version of Pocahontas. Spare me. I don't don't go to the theater to get preached to by a bunch of Hollywood elitists, especially when I've heard it before a million times. But maybe I'm overreacting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, what? Your wife just had a kid today and you're blogging about Avatar? The people of America want photos of the young sprout.



ted

Anonymous said...

And no, you're not overreacting. This does look preachy as all get out wrapped up in a big noisy, cool-looking disguise to try to fool me. But I'm on to them. Oh, yes. I'm on to them.



ted

Anonymous said...

Ok, here is my girly dorky side coming out...it looks pretty!!! I want to see it. I'm pretty sure half of me is still 12 and wants to be a mermaid therefore, this movie totally appeals to me. Why did you have to ruin it and tell me there is an agenda? I hate agendas! Why couldn't he make a movie about mermaids with these special effects? What a waste.

kathleen