Tuesday, February 01, 2011

John Barry (1933-2011)

I was sad to see that the great film composer John Barry passed away Sunday. He was famous for a number of great film scores, most notably the James Bond theme. He won five Oscars during his long career. Highlights include the music for Born Free, The Lion in Winter, Somewhere In Time, and Out of Africa. I know nothing about music so I won't offer a critical assessment of his work. I can only say that I thought his film scores was great and the world of cinematic music is less grand in his absence. I will certainly think of him everytime I hear that twang of the guitar when I pop in an old Bond movie. I especially liked Barry's western themes which included his scores for Monte Walsh, The Legend of the Lone Ranger, and my personal favorite, the John Dunbar theme from Dances With Wolves.

No comments: