Thursday, May 04, 2006

Superman Returns

Well, here's the new Superman trailer.

It looks pretty intruiging, but I liked the teaser trailer better.

Based on the response when I posted the teaser trailer before, I represent the minority of my friends who are excited about this movie. Some have said that Superman just isn't that interesting. Others have that superhero movies are getting to be old hat. Personally, I think a Superman movie can be very compelling because it deals with questions of how one can be good in a world that is evil. If the movie were being made by Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay, I wouldn't bother, but since Bryan Singer (The Usual Suspects, X-Men, X2) is in the director's chair, there's reason to be excited. He's a fan of the original and wants to tell a good story. Besides, how good will Kevin Spacey be as Lex Luthor?

And while I agree that Superman has rarely been done well in comics, the first two movies were arguably the best superhero movies to date. Yes, the genre has been over-done as of late, with good and bad results, but I'm ready for one more good one - especially if its Superman.

9 comments:

everyday.wonder said...

Okay, okay, you got me. That trailer was pretty good. I might actually go see the movie. I loved the part at the end which took the "it's a bird, it's a plane..." Classic.

ted said...

Ho hum.

As far as it being compelling for its good in an evil world theme, it it really that hard to resist evil if you can fly, are stronger than God, can blow icy wind from your mouth, shoot heat beams from your eyes, see through people's clothes and work at a newspaper?

Maybe part of it for me is Lex Luthor himself. They say that a protagonist is only as intersting as his antagonist, and I find Lex Luthor to be a total drag.

Maybe if they take some parts of Super Friends that worked and put them into this movie it would look better to me. Watching the trailer made me wonder if there will be any young aspiring super-couples and a pet. Remember how much better Super Friends was when Marvin and Wendy were on the job with Wonder Dog? And I can't be the only one who cheered for Zan and Jana and looked forward to seeing what type of water based substance could be combined with what animal with lipstick (a bucket of water being flown around by a pteradactyl before being dumped on the bad guys was a favorite) to fight the evil machinations of Bizarro and Solomon Grundy with the help of Gleek the blue monkey. Another great episode of Super Friends was the one where an invading force of aliens who lived on the sun were scoping out Earth to take it over. They were easy to recognize because they dressed like Eskimos. Yeah, that's right, Eskimo clothes make up for the 35,000 degree difference between the sun and planet Earth.

I really hope I'm wrong, because I love to see good movies, but this thing looks about as interesting as an owner's manual for a blender written in french.

ted said...

You know, it just occured to me that both Wonder Dog and Gleek had capes but Aquaman and Green Arrow didn't. And I thought being them sucked before.

Tim Lewis said...

Quick. Who wins in a fight?

The Vulture or Hawkman?

SHAZAM! said...

Ha-ha, I'm not biting.

SHAZAM! said...

Vulture

Tim Lewis said...

Green Arrow or Hawkeye?

SHAZAM! said...

Green Arrow.

ted said...

I'm going with Hawkman. Vulture is some old dude with wings stuck on his arms like Icarus on his 87th birthday or something.

And I'm saying that both Green Arrow and Hawkeye are equally gay. One's named Oliver Queen and the other has arrows with a big gay boxing glove on it.



Ooh, I've got one, Captain America or Cap'n Crunch?